Liberty and Jewellery with Susan MacLeod, Award Winning Contemporary Scottish Jeweller.
To celebrate the opening of the Liberty Art Fabrics & Fashion exhibition, Dovecot will host a specialised jewellery workshop in contemporary enamel, focusing on the iconic and beautiful imagery of Liberty.
As an introduction to the possibilities of enamel work, you will adapt traditional techniques to create a unique piece of jewellery. The course will be taught by, Susan MacLeod, who is an Edinburgh based jeweller with first-class honours in Contemporary Jewellery. Susan creates bespoke jewellery from her Edinburgh studio and is also a tutor at The Summerhall School of Jewellery.
During this hands-on day in jewellery making, you will explore the elegant design of Art Nouveau and the application of vitreous enamels on base metals. You will also have the opportunity to experience working with traditional jewellery making and metal sampling techniques. The course will encourage you to explore your creativity, while taking inspiration from the delicate and naturalistic forms of Art Nouveau.
This course is ideal for beginners and will cover the following areas:
• Introduction to Liberty florals and motifs
• Designing jewellery and contemporary craft
• Sawing and filing base metals
• Piercing metal motifs and florals
• Creating textures on sheet metal
• Metal sampling and colour work
• Application of vitreous enamel on base metal
• Working with an enamelling kiln
• Jewellery finishing and polishing
Tickets includes materials, equipment and welcome refreshments